Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Indiana's 1st birthday pt. 2

I also think I need to clarify that Indy is 20 months now, this party was a LONG time ago!  So you'll forgive me if the descriptions or instructions are short handed.   Here are some more goodies that I created for his bday!


Party Hats!  This as the most difficult craft out of all the ones I did for the party.  I used the all-knowing Martha Stewart's how-to on these which you can find here.  The only thing I changed was that I didn't use vellum for the tassel, I just cut a series of 2 inch cuts into the same piece of paper and rolled it over to form the tassel.
Here is Gracie and Indy's cousin Olivia (showing her sassy side) wearing the hats.  The kids found them too cumbersome to wear, so they were mostly just decoration/a give away.
I made a few extra balloons and put them on the cupcakes I also made for the party.  These were the "adult cupcakes" which were double chocolate.  The kids and Indy got Eggless Carrot cake because he had an allergic reaction to eggs a week or so prior to the party.  If you need the recipe, e mail me!  It's delicious!

Finally, not pictured are the give aways!  I am so heartbroken that I didn't get pictures of this!  I had been saving glass baby food jars for about a month for this give away.  I stripped the labels and made rectangles out of the same card stock the hats and birthday banner was made out of.  I cut the rectangles with patterned edge scissors and wrote "Thanks! Love, Indy" on them and hot glued them onto the jars.   I bought a bag of organic potting soil and a pack of organic green bean seeds.  At the party, as an activity, I had all the kids, with the help of parents, plant a seed in their pots to take home.   While we were doing the activity, I asked the kids that each time they watered the seed to please pray for Indiana and for his safety and future.  I thought this was a lot more fun and meaningful than a bag of candy that half of the guests are too young to eat!
I really enjoyed putting together the party.  I only wish I had taken more pictures so that Indiana can look back in a few years to see how special his 1st bday was because none of this mattered one bit to him!  So make sure your cameras are fully charged and that plenty of your adult guests bring their cameras, too!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Elise, 16 years ago I made a similar craft for Brooke's 2nd birthday. I used royal blue felt and red edging to make clown hats. The kids decorated them during the party. It was definitely a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's amazing! The kids didn't really want to wear them around, I don't know why, maybe they were afraid they'd break them or something?

    That's cool, I'd love to see pictures, if you have any!

    ReplyDelete