Monday, August 2, 2010

More Wall Art- Nana's Silver

My Mother in Law gave me my Grandmother in Law's old silver.  They are vintage, a bit tarnished and beautiful in every way.  There is also a "K" monogrammed on the handle of each piece, 'K' for Krepcho, of course.  I was unbelievably honored to have gotten such a precious heirloom that I wanted to immortalize it in some way.  I decided to take pictures of each a fork, spoon and a knife, have them blown up and hang them on the wall in my kitchen.  They turned out beautifully.

I used a bit of black ash from the fire place to fill in the detail on the handle, it was fine enough to fit into the crevices without having to mark on the silver itself.
The background is the deck in my back yard.  My only regret from this  project is my reflection in the spoon!  I couldn't find a way to do it without my reflection showing in the spoon.  Every other position distorted the shape and size of the spoon, making them different than the other utensils.
I also kind of wish the monogram was the other way so that the utensils could be "head up" instead of down, but they still turned out nice.
I think these are 20 x 22.  I love them.  I used some old Ikea pictures (of sand, stone and water...or something equally zen and boring) and photo spray glue and used them to hang the pictures on.  This was before I straightened them out!

This project can just as easily be done with your own favorite silver or utensils on a different back ground.  I had them professionally printed, I think the total cost was around $60.  Not bad for some kitchen art that has sentimental value.  My in-laws were tickled when they came to visit.  And I think of Nana every time I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment